ORACLE FORMS & REPORTS 220.127.116.11 INFORMATION AND FINDINGS
UPDATED: June 3, 2014
Oracle has just recently released an updated version of Oracle Forms 11gR2 versioned as 18.104.22.168. For what we have seen on Oracle‚Äôs website and Oracle Support, the following has been updated in the latest version of Oracle Forms 11gR2 (22.214.171.124):
¬∑ Many bugs have been fixed (See Oracle Support ID 1612530.1 for a list of the bugs fixed)
¬∑ Only Oracle WebLogic Server (WLS) 10.3.6 is supported
¬∑ The operating system support is the same as 126.96.36.199 except for the following:
o AIX 6.1 must be Update Level 7 or higher
o AIX 7.1 must be Update Level 1 or higher
o Windows XP is no longer supported with Forms 188.8.131.52
o NOTE: Currently no support for Oracle Forms (any release) with Windows 8
¬∑ JDK support:
o Using Java 6 ‚Äď JDK 1.6.0_35+
o Using Java 7 ‚Äď JDK 1.7.0_40+
¬∑ Internet Browser support:
o Internet Explorer: 8, 9, 10, 11 (IE 11 is only supported if Oracle Patch 18277370 is applied)
o Firefox: 24+
o Google Chrome: 29+
o Safari: 5.x
¬∑ Database support (No changes from Forms 184.108.40.206):
¬∑ OAM support (No changes from Forms 220.127.116.11):
o Oracle SSO 10gR3 (10.1.4.3+)
o Oracle Access Management 11gR1 (18.104.22.168+)
o Oracle Access Management 11gR2 (22.214.171.124.0)
o Oracle Internet Directory (OID) 11gR1 (126.96.36.199+)
o Oracle Virtual Directory (OVD) 11gR1 (188.8.131.52+)
¬∑ This version is released as both a base installation and a patchset (Oracle patch 17882900) installation meaning that Oracle Forms 184.108.40.206 can either be installed as a separate installation or as a patch to an existing 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168 installation.
¬∑ On the Oracle Forms download page, there are no more downloads for Forms 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199. Only Forms 188.8.131.52 can be downloaded from OTN.
For more information regarding Oracle Forms 184.108.40.206 certifications, please review Oracle‚Äôs certification matrix for Forms and Reports 220.127.116.11: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/es/middleware/docs/oracle-forms-111220certmatrix-2087910.xls?ssSourceSiteId=otnen
SIMILARITIES/DIFFERENCES TO FORMS 18.104.22.168
After successfully installed and configured Oracle Forms & Reports 22.214.171.124 in both our Windows 7 64-bit and Oracle Linux 6.4 64-bit test environments, we found that there are no major functionality changes that we could detect. In our test installations, we worked with Oracle WebLogic Server 10.3.6 using JDK 1.7.0_45 (this was the latest JDK available for download as of January 8, 2014 when the test installs were performed). Based off the installation and configuration, we have noticed the following:
1. The installation of Oracle Forms and Reports 126.96.36.199 (as well as running config.bat/sh) is identical to installing 188.8.131.52. The same steps are involved.
2. Environment files and formsweb.cfg work the same. In order to use the latest JRE (since we were using JDK 7 in our test), we had to configure the jpi parameters in formsweb.cfg.
3. Similar to Forms and Reports 184.108.40.206, we still receive the ‚ÄúREP-52262: Diagnostic output is disabled‚ÄĚ error when we try to run reports. In previous releases of Oracle Forms & Reports 11gR1 and 11gR2 (220.127.116.11), using the default setting in rwservlet.properties would allow anyone to access anything related to rwservlet such as getjobid, showjobs, showenv, etc. For some reason in 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124, the default settings act the same as using <webcommandaccess>L0</webcommandaccess> in the file. To fix this, we had to manually add the parameter <webcommandaccess>L2</webcommandaccess> into rwservlet.properties and restart WLS_REPORTS before we could view generated reports. NOTE: If this was fixed manually in Forms 126.96.36.199 and you patch the install to 188.8.131.52, you do not have to redo this. URL: https://pitss.com/us/2012/12/20/running-reports-in-formsreports-11-1-2-1-generates-rep-52262-with-default-settings/
4. Patching your Forms 184.108.40.206 installation to 220.127.116.11 requires little effort. All that is required is to shut down all WebLogic servers associated with Forms 18.104.22.168, OPMN, and Node Manager. Running the patchset install and starting everything up afterward is all that is required.
a. NOTE: When running the installer, make sure to select ‚ÄúInstall Software ‚Äď Do Not Configure‚ÄĚ.
b. NOTE: If you have an Oracle Database installed on the same PC/server where you are upgrading Forms and Reports, the database, TNS listener, and DB Console will need to be shut down as well in order to prevent a possible error during the upgrade.
5. The OHS bug which occurred in many Oracle Forms 22.214.171.124 installations that was fixed in 126.96.36.199 is also fixed in 188.8.131.52. The bug was the case where you had to rollback and re-apply an Oracle patch to fix an issue where OHS would lose connectivity with the WLS_FORMS server after a report was run. URL: https://pitss.com/us/2012/10/08/how-to-fix-apache-bridge-error-bug-in-forms-11gr2/
6. The Reports Builder bug where it crashes when viewing the Data Model in 64-bit machines has NOT been fixed with Forms and Reports 184.108.40.206. Fortunately, applying the fix as mentioned in https://pitss.com/us/2012/10/10/reports-builder-11gr2-crashes-when-viewing-data-model/ will still fix the problem. NOTE: If this was fixed manually in Forms 220.127.116.11 and you patch the install to 18.104.22.168, you do not have to redo this.
7. Oracle Forms & Reports 22.214.171.124 is backwards-compatible with Oracle Forms & Reports 126.96.36.199. We tested this by successfully opening up or loading a form in either an 188.8.131.52 Forms Builder or PITSS.CON saved in either Forms Builder or PITSS.CON using Forms 184.108.40.206. This means that if you are working with someone who is using Oracle Forms 220.127.116.11, you are able to use your PITSS.CON or Forms Builder using Forms 18.104.22.168 without any problems. NOTE: Forms 22.214.171.124 is not backwards-compatible with Forms 11gR1.
8. In Oracle Forms 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, and 184.108.40.206, there was a bug where you were unable to edit any configuration files or logging information for OHS within Enterprise Manager as mentioned in https://pitss.com/us/2013/10/18/unable-to-edit-ohs-configuration-files-in-enterprise-manager-for-forms-11-1-1-6-or-11gr2/. This bug has been fixed in Forms 220.127.116.11 (as well as 18.104.22.168 if you are using Forms 11gR1).
9. All Oracle jar files (frmall.jar, frmwebutil.jar, and any other jar file which starts with ‚Äúfrm‚ÄĚ) have been updated with the permissions and codebase manifest attributes needed for the later Java JDK and JRE updates. Before you decide to upgrade your JDK and JRE to the latest version (Java 7u45 or higher) in your Forms and Reports 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 environment, it is best to upgrade to Forms and Reports 188.8.131.52 first (and WebLogic 10.3.6 if you are using 10.3.5). For any custom jar files used in Forms and Reports, they will still need to contain the permissions and codebase manifest attributes (and signed with trusted certificates). Please see https://pitss.com/us/2013/10/24/how-to-modify-custom-jar-files-with-permissions-and-codebase-attributes/ for more information.
10. Like earlier releases of Oracle Forms and Reports 11gR2 (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11), WebUtil for Forms 18.104.22.168 uses Jacob 1.14.3. No changes to the Jacob DLLs are required.
11. If you have Forms and Reports integrated with Oracle Access Manager (OAM) 11g, no changes are required on the OAM or OID side. Simply upgrading Forms from 22.214.171.124 (or 126.96.36.199) to 188.8.131.52 is all that is needed to log into your Forms application using OAM.
12. When configuring Oracle Forms and Reports 184.108.40.206 (using config.bat or config.sh) and you are integrating with OAM, you will still get an error when connecting to the OAM domain even if all information is entered correctly. This bug that was first seen in Forms 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 has NOT been fixed in 22.214.171.124. You will need to run config.bat or config.sh using the ‚Äďnovalidation flag to work around this error. NOTE: Be very careful when running the configuration wizard if you use the ‚Äďnovalidation flag as the wizard will NOT perform any tests or checks to see if anything entered is valid or invalid. More information can be found at https://pitss.com/us/2013/04/12/forms-and-reports-11gr2-configuration-fails-at-access-control-step-with-oam-2/.
Other than what we mentioned above, we did not notice any other major differences. We also setup a test PITSS.CON 12.2.2 environment to run in Oracle Forms & Reports 126.96.36.199. The newest PITSS.CON version, 12.2.2 (as of January 8, 2014), works well with Forms 188.8.131.52. Everything works the same as it did in Oracle Forms 184.108.40.206.